Friday, January 21, 2011

...and so it begins

Alright. This is the beginning and the background in as small of a nutshell that I can manage.

I've been a fat kid all my life. After high school, I lost 50 lbs and started to feel normal for the first time in my life. Once I felt normal, I started acting normal and starting dating a guy who was about to go into basic training for the army. When he came home we got serious, moved in together, and eventually got engaged. Gradually, over the span of about 2 years I gained about 100 lbs. I have maintained this weight, give or take 20 lbs since then. I guess you could say I fell off the wagon of healthy living.

I always joke and tease my husband about how he is the one that made me fat, but really, I know it's all my own doing. Only I have the willpower to stay on that wagon.

Well, long story short, I have decided to get a step stool for that wagon. This morning I went to my initial consultation for weight loss surgery. I have done a ridiculous amount of research (about 2 years worth) on the subject and have come to the conclusion that this will be a good tool for me to get back on my healthy living wagon and hopefully surpass my previous 'lowest weight' since being out of high school.

The procedure I have decided upon is adjustable gastric banding. Most people call it Lap Band. This will allow me to restrict my calorie intake and adjust the restriction as needed. It also means once I get to my goal weight and start trying to have a baby I can have as little or as much restriction as I need to keep the baby healthy without me gaining a ton of weight in the process.

This takes me to my other reason for gastric banding - babies. At my current weight, I do not have periods and therefore cannot conceive. I have looked into other means of testing my fertility, but losing weight first seemed like the most logical step. So, that is the step I am taking.

So, back to my appointment today, my hubby and I sat through an 'educational' meeting of sorts with a few other people. basically we were given on overview nutrition information, insurance information, and an explanation of the types of weight loss surgeries St. Vincent's Bariatric offers. Once we sat through that we got a one-on-one meeting with the surgeon and talked about my eligibility for the surgery.

Thankfully, and not surprisingly, he said I was an excellent candidate for gastric banding because I was motivated, and I was already well versed in what it takes to lose weight and now to eat healthy.

My next step will be getting a letter of recommendation from my primary care doctor and getting a psychological evaluation (which I have to pay for out of pocket...lame!). Once these things are obtained, they will send in a request to my insurance and once my insurance okay's the procedure, I can set my surgery date and pre-op appointment!

Hopefully, this process goes as fast as I made it sound.

So there you have it. This is the beginning of my journey, welcome aboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment